This is my first post since the little North Star rant. (Holy cow, has it really been more than 3 months?!) And I want to first thank those who contacted me privately and left comments. I had never felt so nervous to publish a post, but when the comments started rolling in, I felt a sense of peace. (BTW, anyone going to the conference?!?!)
Speaking of rants and since it's been so long since I've blogged, I have a few things all bottled up. So this post is all about stuff that bugs me. (I mean, isn't that why we all blog - to bitch and moan?!) Some local TV stations have a "What's bugging you?" segment and I thought I'd answer that question.
As a gay Mormon who's also a proponent of equal rights, I'm easily bugged. All I need is a quick glance at the comments on my Facebook feed from the extremely conservative/anti-gay so-called friends and that's when I catch myself doing an eye roll. (The reason for the abundance of Mitch from Modern Family.)
In keeping with my love of lists - here's what's bugging me:
- When gay people discriminate against other gay people. To this day, I still don't get it.
- When people use the line, "I have gay friends." *Cue the eye roll again.* The line is used as a buffer before laying on, "love the sinner, hate the sin" mentality. I see this line, but interpret as "You're still going to hell anyways."
- When people try to take a stance by simply posting the Family Proclamation. It always seems to conveniently pop up whenever the gays are in the news.
- When people say "the gospel will never change." Yet, blacks, polygamy, etc.
- When those "struggling with SSA" pull the justification card.
- It's OK for me to cuddle with another guy because the more I do it, the less sexual it becomes and the more it turns into "healthy touch."
- It's OK for me to skinny dip with other guys because it helps me forget about my attractions to men.
- It's OK for me to sleep in the same bed with another guy because it improves male bonding.
- It's OK for me as an older gay guy to spend time with younger gay guys because I'm happily married to a woman - and what I'm doing is completely harmless.
- It's OK for me to be celibate in this life because everything will work out in the afterlife.
- It's OK for me to be a scout leader because I am simply "struggling with SSA" and married to a woman.
The last point is actually the main reason for this post. It bugs me to no end that the Boy Scouts pulled a church's charter because there's an openly gay scoutmaster, yet there are many men in the LDS Church with "SSA" who can still serve with scouts and in other callings. It's not fair to the openly gay folks. Whether you're SSA or openly gay, you're still attracted to men. I personally think the Scouts should change their policy and allow openly gay leaders, but again, it goes back to the fact that those with SSA can get away with it. And that doesn't make me happy.
So that's what's bugging me. What's bugging you?!
Phew. It's good to be back and vent! I should do this more often.