Sunday, September 25, 2016

Falling into old habits: dating Mormon guys

Hello! How's everybody doing? The Moho blogosphere has been kinda quiet and uneventful as of late, and I too haven't had much motivation to speak my mind. But it's a quiet Sunday and thought I'd toss out a random story.

In my post where I said 'so long' to the LDS Church, I made a comment that my social and dating circle has grown by leaps and bounds since separating myself from Mormonism. That statement is still true, but I've also fallen into an old habit: only seeking out Mormon guys to date. I don't know why. I consider myself an ex-Mormon, yet still find myself attracted to others with an LDS background. I guess the ole "Can leave the church but can't leave it alone" statement really resonates with me.

Many years ago, a friend actively involved in North Star said, "I will never date guys, but if I did, I would never date another Mormon." When he said this, I thought he was crazy. But now, all these years later, I understand why he made that comment.

For example...

I met a Moho on Tinder. Very sweet, caring, little younger than me. He actively dates guys, yet still actively goes to church every week. His bishop doesn't seem to care. He has his doubts about the church, but he'd rather attend church with his friends that contemplate the veracity of the gospel.

I met another Moho on OKCupid. He was married to a woman and has a couple kids. (He's now divorced.) Former Bishopric counselor. Very compassionate, patient, amazing cuddler. He doesn't attend church anymore, but still believes the LDS Church is the only true church on the face of the earth.

Another Moho dates men, stopped attending church, but still has LDS themed art and temple pictures hanging in his home. He'll tell me that he misses going to church.

It's been a challenge to go out with Moho's with conflicting beliefs. I've had a few disagreements with these guys in casual conversations.

(I'm sure you're curious as to how I 'find' all these Mormons. When using apps like Tinder or OKCupid it's easy to spot the Mohos. Profiles with BYU or BYU-Idaho or Univ. of Utah, etc. will always catch my attention. Plus when you land on a Tinder profile and together you have more than 5 mutual friends that are LDS, chances are that person is also LDS.)

It's frustrating, but I know how these guys feel. I was on the fence for so long! Trying to balance my homosexuality with my church attendance. It wasn't until I decide to leave one (the church) and accept the other (my gayness) that I saw the light and became perfectly content. So why am I still attracted to the fence sitters?! I do not try to de-convert these guys and persuade them to leave like I did. I guess I don't have an answer.

Finding other gay Mormons makes for an easy conversation starter. It's the perfect ice breaker. (You're gay AND you served an LDS mission?! So did I!) Bam. Instant friendship. But the more you find out about each other, the more confused you get. (I should have listened to my North Star friend - he actually had a point!) A year ago, I wouldn't have a problem going out with these guys. But now as a non-believer, it's turned into a deal breaker. (Yep, I used ice breaker and deal breaker in the same paragraph!)

So in the never-ending battle of dating guys, I need to focus more on people who have no knowledge of the LDS Church. (Or ex-Mormons. I don't have a problem going out with people who have completely left the church, like I have.) ... We'll just not leave it alone together. :)


25 comments:

  1. My dear, may i ask a personal question? Do you like dating married men? Or, not? For some reason, based on your website and all you have shared, it did not occur to me that dating married men was your thing. I could be wrong... I just would hate so much to see you get hurt, I know dating married people never works out... Love, always, Duck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WAS married! He's divorced and was divorced when we went out! (I've edited my post to emphasize this!)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry. I didn't know, hence my question. You are a good bloke!😊

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting, it never occurred to me to have a policy one way or the other. Living in Texas I never knew any other gay Mormons until after I was already dating my husband. Even now I know 'of' more gay Mormons than I know personally (other than a cousin and a girlfriend from ages ago that I recently reconnected with on Facebook). And we all left the church behind a long time ago. And I have to say I don't understand why people are so anxious to belong to an organization that so clearly does not want them around. There is enough negativity in the world without seeking it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think even more than being LDS, there are qualities and attributes associated with being (or having been) a Mormon that are appealing to me and others. The clean-cut look, wholesome outlook on life, hard working or at least a good work ethic, fun loving, and still some connection to God, religion or a higher power--assuming they're not too bitter or angry with the Church. Yeah, I know, sounds kind of cliché or stereotype but whose heart doesn't beat a little faster seeing a cute guy in a white shirt with his celestial smile showing?

    ReplyDelete
  6. First dates can be nerve-racking and daunting. This is normal for everyone. However, here are some helpful first date tips to make your first date a success. New Jersey singles

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I needed to thank you for this phenomenal read!! I unquestionably adored each and every piece of it. I have you bookmarked your site to look at the new stuff you post. muslim singles

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the blog post buddy! Keep them coming... muslim singles

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fantabulous post this has been. Never seen this kind of useful post. I am grateful to you and expect more number of posts like these. Thank you very much. How to be happy in life

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is quite beneficial, although think about the facts when it reaches this target.
    What Makes A Good Couple?

    ReplyDelete
  12. The web site is lovingly serviced and saved as much as date. So it should be, thanks for sharing this with us. Tony

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey what a brilliant post I have come across and believe me I have been searching out for this similar kind of post for past a week and hardly came across this. Thank you very much and will look for more postings from you. luvfree.com

    ReplyDelete

  14. wao its amazing stuff i will back for reading more stuff real estate management is the name of quality that deals with the north property.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks For sharing this Superb article.I use this Article to show my assignment in college.it is useful For me Great Work. Relationships

    ReplyDelete
  16. acdc cbd oil online just as revitalizing and comforting as listening to the playlist of your favorite tunes. Consider us for AC/DC Cbd oil for sale, acdc near me and magical ac strains for medical purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  17. If you are looking for a very impressive word to Birthday Wishes to your loved ones, you will get all those here on this forum in the form of birthday wishes for all of your relations. Here are all those birthday wishes presented below for you;

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your blog has piqued a lot of real interest. I can see why since you have done such a good job of making it interesting. I appreciate your efforts very much, How to Write a Check.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Allied International Security is a Southern California based security guard services company. We provide Unarmed and Armed security guard officers to large and small commercial, industrial and residential clients.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Arenas De Bavaro real estate
    If you are tensed or worried about your old or native place/land ,
    we provide the best solution for that as well by providing the best resources for property renovation. Tropical Home Away will help you renovate your place in such a way that no one
    will ever be able to tell if it is a newly built place or is a renovated place!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Construction Site Security
    We will provide you with well trained and reliable security staff, security Guards and well managed and well organized security services. We are available 24/7 to give you the best service available. Our company is fully insured and Licensed by BSIS, with the most modern security equipment available to serve our customers.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Io ho scritto con entusiasmo, non certo con critica, del fatto che #MariaPaolaToschi di #JPMorgan é sempre affamata di sesso anale, estremo, scatenato, intensissimo, di gruppo, selvaggissimo. Nessun "bacchettonismo". Mi affascina molto il suo essere pacata, equilibrata, rassicurante, Berlusconicchia, molto Estabilishment, nei suoi videos su you tube. E poi ninfomane incredibile, insaziabile, mi viene da dire con simpatia, ^assatanata^, ninfomane di Arcore alias Hardcore, quando fa sesso con uno, due, anche 30, 60, 100 uomini, 2 o 3 alla volta, in private huge rooms. Io trovo questo contrasto, affascinante. Qualcuno lo troverá riprorevole. Ma chi lo troverá riprorevole, é spesso tipo da film "Vizi privati e pubbliche virtú". O da canzone di De Andre ove dice "Si sá che la gente dà buoni consigli, se non può più dare cattivo esempio". Un poco come i Lions Clubs, che fan finta di fare del bene, invece spiano, ammazzano, amano il satanismo, il nazifascismo, come pure rubano, fanno frodi, sono vero e proprio Club di Satana, Toto Riina e Augusto Pinochet ( e lo sono contro chi non fa nulla di male e non ha nessun torto, per subire per tanti decenni, non anni, ma decenni, loro persecuzioni assassine: sanno a chi mi riferisco)! IO HO OTTIMO RICORDO DI MARIA PAOLA TOSCHI DI JP MORGAN, POTESSI, SCHIACCIANDO UN BOTTONE MAGICO, TORNARE DIETRO 20 ANNI, QUANDO ME LA STRA SCOPAVO OGNI FINE SETTIMANA (ANCHE SE ERAVAMO TUTTI E DUE SPOSATI... ERAVAMO SPOSATI, MA PURE LIBERTINI, BEN APPUNTO, DI VARI ROTARY E LIONS CLUBS), LO FAREI SUBITO. SCRITTO CON ZERO IPOCRISIA, COME DA MIO STILE.
    ANDREAS NIGG. BANK J SAFRA SARASIN ZURICH. PREMIATO NEL 2018, 2019, 2020 E 2021 COME BANCHIERE DELL'ANNO SVIZZERO!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for sharing. I found a lot of interesting information here. private security companies in los angeles

    ReplyDelete