Saturday, June 13, 2015

That moment when you can't stop thinking about a movie on Netflix

I have a problem.

I am a constant multitasker, which means I always have to be doing more than one thing. When I'm at my desk at work, I'm usually listening to music or TV in the background and probably working on 2 or 3 projects at the same time. When I watch TV, I'm usually on my computer or phone. When I'm driving, I'm on the phone (not texting) and usually sipping a cold soda. When I'm reading a book, my mind wanders, and I usually give up after a few pages.

But a movie I watched last night on Netflix got my undivided attention and I'm still thinking about it the next day.

It was a slow Friday night. Work was busy all week and I was out late doing other obligations. So by Friday night, I just wanted a simple evening, alone. I treated myself to some Taco Bell (I know, so bad, but so good) and pulled up Netflix using my Chromecast. Now, in the past, I've had several Moho's suggest I watch the gay-themed movies offered, so that's where my search started. BTW, if you've searched for the gay movies on Netflix, you'll know that most look really cheesy and several only get one to two stars.

However, a movie called "The Way He Looks" got a surprising 5 stars on Netflix and a very impressive 91% on Rotten Tomatoes. Bingo. So I got comfortable and started watching. And I'm sure you're asking by now: how did this movie get my undivided attention? Well, it's in Portuguese so I had to read subtitles. :) This means no phone, no Facebook, no Twitter, no Reddit for 96 minutes. My eyes stayed on the TV the entire time, minus a 2-minute bathroom break.

But even if there were no subtitles, I still would be 100% focused - it's that good. Not to give too much away, because I think you, yes you, should see this movie. To summarize the summary from IMDB - Leo, a blind teen, is looking for independence. His best friend is a girl. But falls in love with new guy Gabriel.

When the credits rolled, I just sat there motionless. (This never happens!) I reflected on my own life. My own experiences. I thought about the impactful scenes I just saw in the movie. Movies don't usually affect me (I'm more of a series TV watcher) but this one I just can't get out of my mind. (And I have to give credit to the amazing actors. I thought Ghilherme Lobo, who plays Leo, is really blind in real life. Turns out, he's just really good at playing blind.)

I contemplated heavily after the movie because I missed out on so much of this 'gay' stuff, thanks to the darn church. As seen in the movie, I too developed feelings for guys while in high school, but all had to be squashed because, back then, it was wrong. I missed out on all this growing up and I got to live vicariously, for 96 minutes, through the actors.

Sigh.

I'm still hoping for the day I can eat Taco Bell on Friday's with someone special then snuggle up with him watching Netflix. (and maybe we'll watch a cheesy gay flick this go around.)

(And somebody PLEASE watch this movie so we can chat about it!)


6 comments:

  1. I've had that movie in my queue for months, so at your suggestion I watched it.

    A good film indeed! Having served my mission in Brazil I was able to listen along with the Portuguese and read along. The fact that they were in Sao Paulo and spoke with the accent made it even easier!

    I was impressed with the acting and overall production value. Like you said, gay themed movies tend to be cheesy or amateur-ish in acting and plot. The actor who plays the blind kid does an amazingly subtle job. Ghilherme Lobo.

    I liked that the movie wasn't about sex, but about love. Probably that's what captured you. You should watch "Beautiful Thing". It's a classic. In fact it has a very similar story line without the blind part. "The Way He Looks" does it better. What I especially liked was how Gabriel made the first move, not the Leo so that it wasn't like Leo was seducing him which tends to be the way it does down in these gay coming of age stories.

    The last comment I have is ...Taco Bell? Really? I eat it too but not as a treat! Brother, you need to expand your horizons and get a decent burrito on special movie nights!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm so glad you liked it! (I would have felt terrible if I gave a bad recommendation!)

      And you are correct, the movie is so good because it's about love... Without the cheese factor. I'm not one to re-watch movies, but this one I may fire up again.

      As for Taco Bell. It was on the way home and the drive thru is just so convenient. When I watch "Beautiful Thing," I'll class it up a bit and go to Chipotle! ;-)

      Delete
  2. I loved that movie--we saw it at a gay film festival in Utah (yes we have them!) last year and it was probably my favorite show of the festival. I also thought about my own angsty adolescence, the guys I used to obsess about and not be able to do a thing about. It was an enjoyable film.

    Now let's have a conversation about Taco Bell...
    j/k
    My kids call that place blasphemy, but when the urge strikes give in, who cares! Thanks for sharing!
    Hugs,Miguel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Miguel! I'm glad you saw the movie and loved it! I bet seeing it with others at a film festival was more emotional than me watching it by myself on Netflix!

      Oh boy. More Taco Bell hate! :) But you are correct, when you're craving it, why not?!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Glad you liked it! And maybe someday I'll buy you a Gordita.

      Delete